Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Let Me Sew...

It has been so cold & icy & I mean icy, just like a skating rink on our property.
The lane way was not plowed  & the tire ruts from my car & trucks, going up & down it has now made huge, frozen ruts.
I think I'm driving through a car wash rut, a very long 800 foot,  very slow going  car wash & one must, stay within the rut! If you leave the rut you'll end up in the ditch, which is on either side!
So I go out only when I have to!
You can find me organizing the moved in boxes or doing some creative sewing.

Last Wednesday I was given the quilt pattern, that the Golden Age Club was working on. I missed the road trip to Nadine's in Neguac's, for the fabric but those that know me ...know of my sewing stash!
I went through my stash looking for red & white fabric for a Valentine styled quilt theme.

Here it is!

 I changed out the size. It was a lap quilt 2 blocks across & 3 blocks down. I made it square 3 X 3.


I just loved the bird toile fabric.

And I used this border fabric as it reminded me of feathers!
The challenge came, keeping it all direction & going in a downward pattern. 
Everything was going together splendidly ... 



What was I thinking!! Measure twice, cut once!
Oh I cut alright, the size of the block, without the border!

 I had to think about it & it came to me. I'll just add a center block to balance between the corner stones~! Yes, I was back on track again. That was quite the derailment for me!

 Now for some more creativity! I used the very last of the deep red sashing fabric, to applique these sweet birds, for the four corners. They looked so sweet on the white with pink polka dots!


This is the finished quilt top.
It will work for Valentines's Day but not scream Valentine's Day.
With all the improvising from the mistakes, it's a bit more unique, since I didn't follow the pattern exactly.
  

 In my stash, I found a full 4 meters, needed for the backing of this 70" X 70" quilt. I'm so pleased to have it done & all the materials came out of my stash! Bill was quite pleased too! lol

This is the pattern's photo, very fall themed.
I'l take photos of the other quilts being done at the Golden Age. 



Kitties In A Basket

Remember my $3 thift store baby quilt, with the kittens? I placed in a wicker basket & what a hit with the cats in this house! Rexton just loves it...

& so does Tommy!

Rexton is usually the mean girl but today she left Tommy & was comfortable on my cutting table.
I placed a couple of their cat mats together & she was napping to Tommy's snoring. lol

 Rexton loves the new Canada pillow that I made, it 100% wool, very cozy with the cold days we're having these days.


We had a thaw last week & the water & grass was visible again! Now everything is frozen & icy.

Soon the puppies will be here & my quite sewing days will be over & my days will be full of puppy needs, potty time, feed time, play time, sleep time... repeat. lol
Yes February 13th will be here in no time!

Bill found the Boston terrier hand puppet, that we got in Boston back in 1994, home of the American Boston terrier! And the door stop Sandy found for me! :-)
Heather & I were in town looking for baby blankets & sweaters for modification for the baby Boston's. For now I'm trying to get that Canada Eh! quilt worked out. I made a huge mistake in my cutting & I'm now awaiting a fabric order from Sew-Sister's in Toronto.

I've cut out a couple of aprons to make today. Then I'll cut out more maple leaf blocks for the quilt.
Sew much to do before the puppies arrival!

Thank you for stopping by & stay warm & safe this icy winter!
Cynthia





No comments:

Post a Comment