Sunday, May 1, 2016

Busy, busy...

It's been a busy week with a lot of fun, laughter, family, & friends.

On Monday, there was a rug hooking day with the Critchlow Rug Hooking Guild. What a fun day that was. I traced a couple of patterns onto linen burlap to do this year. And I took a original Bluenose pattern to show & share piece that I had purchased in New Brunswick a few years back.

I'm going to take a pattern off it & place this one in a frame, it truly is a work of art! To my surprise, Beverly was working on a Bluenose piece too! Another company has revived the Bluenose patterns & is selling them today. It is quite the story of the finds in the basement & trying to copy the old paper patterns. I stumbled on the story on the internet, looking for the rug above!

Beverly, displaying here Bluenose pattern. How lovely is this organic, beautiful rug going to be?!!

 Lynn & Deb, my Thursday morning stitching girlfriends. joined in to do a little rug hooking on their own. With Deb, little is not even on the radar...

This is Deb's first hooked rug! Go big or stay at home, right Deb?!! It's for the front of her patio door. This door leads to the garden & pond. This woman does everything & does it well! Kudos to you, Deb! She's the girlfriend that did the Crazy Stars quilt, via email, with me. What project will we do via email now?
I recognized Lee's work before I saw her. I've not seen her for a couple of years, her bear is coming to life. It was being drawn the last I saw it!
 I love white polar bears. With the global warming, their habitat is being lost. :-(


Norma worked on this sweet piece, in memory of her mother.

 Dorothy has been working on this ambitious piece. I just love what she has done & I have an idea on what to do with those worms!

 Dorothy used a variegated Briggs & Little yarn for the whipping on the edges, how clever is she?!!

The day at the church, with the Critchlow Guild lasted from 9:30am to 3:30pm, much like my weekly meetings with the Miramichi Rug Hooking Guild. I enjoy rug hooking & will be home to see them soon, after Mother's Day!

A New Gadget!
This product by Sharpie, is what the rug hookers have been using to trace their patterns out. There are never any black marks left as this sometimes happens with the 'permanent black marker'. Never has happened to me but, good to know & have hindsight on a white hooked area. Thank you Connie aka Vanna the hand person, for this photo! lol


 I've been working on this sewing bag...

 This is the outside, I was auditioning what button to place on the pocket. A Mary Englebriet, bowl button with a black & white checkered striped bowl? No.

     A black & white zebra? No.

A ceramic houndstooth heart? Yes.

If in doubt with choices, it really plays to audition the choices through your camera. I have even found mistakes in my quilting, with this technique.

I will show the bag that took me days upon days, to make on the next blog. It is one way to help keep me organized. This is the year of 'organizing'! 

I was at cousin Ann's place & fell in love with her front garden! How beautiful is the colour of spring?


 She has the lovely garden outfront, the one that boosts all the colours of spring. Next weekend,  I can't wait to see my 347 bulbs coming to life! Oh Mother Nature, bring it on!

 While I was at Ann's, her beloved 16 year old cat Eddie, was striking his natural poise. I got my camera out & captured him!
                               It's the way Eddie positions his paws that really caught my eye.

 Ann said 'Eddie always has had that poise'. And she purchased this pillow because it made her think of Eddie! How true, Eddie is a gentleman indeed!

Farewell Dinner With The Sew What's, Sewing Group


John, our chef for the dinner. And what a wonderfully delicious dinner he prepared for us! And our home hostess June, that greeted us all with open arms as we entered. Thank you both!!

I asked John to write down what we had for the dinner & here is our Indonesian Dinner menu! 

Babi Ketjap - Pork tenderloin in a Sweet Soy Sauce with spices

Sambal Telor - Hard boiled eggs in a coconut/curry sauce

Nasi Goreng Ajam - Chicken Fried Rice

Gado Gado - Blanched Fresh Vegetables with a peanut/coconut sauce

Chicken Stir Fry - Fresh vegetables stir fried with chicken & spices

Dessert - Fresh Fruit Salad

And a wonderful evening unfolded...


 June has a very large dining that comfortably housed 10 of us sitting around the table. John was also our server for the night, you can see him in the far background in the kitchen preparing our meal.


 Left to right.  Lou, Ann, Elaine, & Pat, a waiting patiently. Everything was presented so beautifully!

Cynthia & Cynthia,  the only Cynthia I've know in this lifetime, I'm going to miss you my friend!

 Mibsie, Susan, & Cynthia are a waiting for the meal to begin...after a few photos... And what a meal it was!!


 I think everyone had seconds of their most favorite dish, me I had seconds of everything!

 This Gado Gado Salad, was just one of my favourites! Indonesian food I had never tasted, ever. And I think I'm going to look for that food elsewhere. Very different than North American eating.

 June told us that John was preparing for days for this meal & wow was it good!!! Thank you John, I know June has told us that you like to cook & last year I missed that meal but I'm sure glad that the group scheduled this dinner around my leaving & it was my farewell dinner. What a sending off for me.

 The dinner then finished with the fresh fruit salad, with exotic fruits. Mmmm seconds on that too!

Then it was a sit around time looking through Junes magazines.

 Elaine, looking over the magazines with Cynthia on Tea Times & the food that goes with it.

 Pat looking through a quilting magazine. She's a longarm quilter & works at Fabricland, you could say she lives & breathe fabric! lol

John also put together 'doggie bags' for those that wanted to take some food away. Of course I took some away & had it for lunch the next day. It had to be all gone before Bill's return as he has a nut allergy. So I made that happen! lol

Susan, the Magnolia Tree


 Nick's tree is now budding out. I just love this tree & it has taken hold & is blooming.

 The colour is everywhere in our neighbourhood, as several trees are blooming, all in different stages, depending on the sunlight they receive.

 Susan the Magnolia is in its beginning stage. See the little hat it wears? As it blooms the hat is thrown off & a beautiful, fragrant,  bloom will appear!

Napping Rexton


 Bill & I laughed as Rexton covered her eyes for her afternoon sleep in the sunny lounge.

 She has turned out to be quite a character & is bossy with Mr. Boots. Beware of Mr. Boots Rexton, he has twice, the right of weight on you!

Old Tom is going into his 18th year & wants nothing to do with those other two & he likes it that way.  To keep his coat healthy, I have to brush him regularly now. I love this cat! He's so easy going & touches me with his paw to have his head & body pet, so affectionate.

Well I've touched base on fun & freinds, now for the family. I went to the nursing home to see my Mom. She's now 84 years old & with the numerous mini strokes has memory & speak problems.
She cried twice whilst I was there & I would just comfort her, the frustration she must be having with this life change in a very controlled nursing home. She cannot live on her own anymore & is well cared for there & is safe.


Mom & I, doing a 'selfie'.

She thought that this was a great thing, a selfie photo & was looking & laughing.

A nurse came in when I was leaving & asked who the beautiful woman was, who was visiting her? I looked around too, she was referring to me, how kind! Mom replied 'This is my daughter.' I nearly fell over as she usually doesn't remember much. She knew me, maybe not by name...but she knew me. She then walked with her wheeled walker, down to the elevator with me. Hugged & kissed me good-bye, I don't know when I'll see her again but she knew me. :-)

Next week will be one of deadlines as I pack to go home again.

Thank you for stopping by for a visit.
Have a wonderful week...mine is going to be a blurr!

Thought for this week. 

'May you do what you love and love what you do!'

1 comment:

  1. Cynthia - great pics, as always! It was a terrific dinner June & John made for us all. Hope your trip down east is incident free. Thanks for all the fun and fabulous times - you will be missed!

    ReplyDelete