Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Stockings Are Hung!

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! The snow has brightened up the day & the firebox inside makes one feel cozy.

                      The backyard is our shore side & this is what it looked like after the first snowfall.

You can see how the white snow brightens the dark brown/grey surroundings. The green emerald cedars that were planted this summer add to the festival look this time of year.

The potting shed has a beautiful local made wreath & other than that it  didn't get decorated this year.


Away In The Manger


 I wondered how long it would take before Rexton perched herself up high with the Nativity manger!


                                         She sit high & looks like she's guarding the manger...

                        Then ever now & then looks inside to make sure everything's OK.

She's curious about outside this year & has sneaked outside once on me this week. I could hear her but couldn't find her...until I opened the front door & there she was. I'm hoping she finds it too cold to be outside.  She snuggled up & slept the day away after her adventure beyond the door.


 The Christmas Stocking's were a fun challenge. I followed the Jim Shore pattern from the Fons & Porter quilt magazine... then added my own variations to them.


 There were three different patterns, so I repeated them twice. Each time using different fabrics from the selection of fat 1/4's that I had.



 Then from the yard of fabric, I made the backs. All six fronts and backs, were sandwiched & quilted with a cream & check flannel fabric for the inside of the stocking.
The backing shows better...

 On its own here, I put it here for this photo shot & later I could not find the sixth backing when it was time to be sewn with the front. I looked high & low for this back, I laughed out loud when I finally found it, hanging from the magnet...just were I left it for the picture!  Yes, good memory, just not long! lol

                         I love glitter at Christmas, so each sock has glitter somewhere on it. lol

                       The iron on metallic rickrack was so easy to apply with the hot iron.





Bill's Decorating ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


 When Bill was here, one early morning whilst having his very early coffee alone (still on his China jet lag time) he threw my wool & angora hat onto of the steers head, again & again till it landed where it is now! He wanted to place the Santa hat on its head but it's still packed away somewhere.


Funny guy! lol



Another Sewing Session ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


 With the fronts & backs sewn on & the binding started in the front, I could add the custom cuffs to each stocking.


 And with the leftover fabric scraps I did the Mini Christmas Mystery with Temecula Quilts. I would make one square for the wee quilt & one square for the tree! It just felt right with the red & white going on. lol These bocks finish at 2 1/2", yes a wee block that hangs beautifully on the tree.

 I also took the time to finish crocheting this clothes pin doll that I started years ago...it was red & white after all! lol

 The tree looks best with the lights on,  I can't wait for the kids to start arriving in a couple of weeks.

 Their stocking are now hung!

 And soon, St. Nicholas will soon be here! lol I love Christmas!!

The great room is now dressed for our first Christmas in New Brunswick! Ho Ho Ho!

With Christmas fast approaching I hope you too have the Christmas spirit. I just love this time of year. Thank you for stopping by for a visit. Next time we'll go into the kitchen to see what's happening there. Right now I've got raisins soaking in 5 year old rum for our Namama's traditional rumballs for gift giving for our family & friends.

A Thought For This Week.

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." Aesop

2 comments:

  1. Love the red and white tree and the mini quilt blocks are just perfect! Your stockings look great and I'm sure they'll be a hit. How did you fare during the storm? We are still green here in Ontario - Yippee :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow again... you've been very busy sewing up a storm of stockings and those little quilt squares for the tree are just adorable. Your house looks beautifully decorated again.
    You have a lot of snow and it would be perfect for Cross country skiing. Ours is all gone with the warm temperatures we got but I hear freezing rain is on the way for Tuesday.

    I've been playing catch up with blogger. I was locked out of my Google account and couldn't find my new password until tonight. I kept typing the old one and I kept getting nowhere so I just gave up for a day. I still feel draggy and hope my energy will pick up again soon.

    That sounds like a very long time for the swelling on your leg to go down. I sure hope you won't get complications. Be careful on the ice.

    Have a great week Cynthia.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete