Saturday, September 3, 2011

Rug Hooking Begins


I've started rug hooking in Miramichi & love it! Here's the beginning of my rug, it measures 21"x31" & is made of men's suit coats that were taken apart, washed in hot water, dried in a hot dryer, pressed with a hot iron then cut through a special cutter. Then the pattern is transferred onto a burlap or linen with a sharpie marker.
Once marked, then the hooking can begin. I found that the instruction given on You-Tube by Gene Shepard is most helpful...he sure makes it look easy. Theory informs however practice convinces! & I've been doing a lot of that, the one good thing is it's so easy to take out anything you dislike...just pull.
This is an art form that I've wanted to do for a long time, it's harder than I thought to get the stitches even & flat but I've just begun. I remember my knitting days, trying to get that tension right...frustrating sometimes & I will get the right tension with this rug hooking too! ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you survived the hurricane! Your rug hooking looks interesting--I hope you bring it to LFQG for show and tell sometime when you get back! Hope to see you soon.

    Gail

    ReplyDelete