Sunday, March 6, 2011

March has arrived!


I finished the March calendar quilt from a calendar series of quilts by Kim Schaefer. The monthly quilts finish at 20"w by 28"l, prefect to hang on metal doors with the window above. Lee Valley carry heavy duty magnets to hang & display these quilts. I made a summer one, I think June or July, when I was out at the cottage last summer & placed it over the window to keep the morning & afternoon sun out. Cute, fast little quilts to make, mine is all machine appliquéd & machine quilted. With the the finished front, I sprayed the batting & backing in place, then I did all the squares (which measure 4 1/2", perfect for those charm squares) with the stitch in the ditch before the appliquéd pieces were added . Once that was done,  I fused on all the appliquéd pieces down & stitched all around the pieces with the buttonhole stitch... right through the batting & backing,  using matching thread coloura to what was being stitched & viola! binding & a dowel hanger, now it's complete.
I added the March saying myself & hung it from the tree branch... now I see a March calendar banner!
April's is so cute I cannot wait to do it!



No comments:

Post a Comment